Header - www.1040-forms.com
Home Page
Form 4868 Application for Extension To File
Publication 17
Tax Guide For Individuals
1040 and Instructions
1040 A and Instructions
1040 ES and Instructions
1040 EZ and Instructions
1040 Schedule A
Itemized Deductions
1040 Schedule B
Interest, Dividends and Foreign Accounts and Trusts - With Instructions
1040 Schedule C
and Instructions
1040 Schedule D
Capital Gains and Losses with Instructions
1040 Schedule SE
Self Employment Tax
and Instructions
1040 X 2011
Draft of Amended Income Tax Return
Tax Increases for 2013
Tax Bracket Changes 2012
Tax Bracket Changes 2011
FREE Printable
2012 Monthly Calendar
Free Printable
2013 Monthly Calendar
Free Printable
2014 Monthly Calendar
2013 IRS Mileage Allowance (new site)
Original 1913
1040 Form

 The IRS began in 1913
Sales Tax List - By State
1099 Forms - Complete

Various 1040 Forms

tall woman signing - www.1040-forms.com

Form 4868
Extension to file individual income tax return.

by Roger Chartier

The IRS form 4868 is an "Application For Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Tax Return."

There are currently 3 ways to request the extension.
  1. File Form 4868 online from your computer

  2. Pay all or part of what you think you owe using a credit card or Electronic Federal Tax Payment System. (
    See the IRS for details)

  3. Print out and fill out then file this paper IRS Form 4868

2012 Tax -File by April 15, 2013

To file taxes for the year 2012 you have to file on or before April 15, 2013.

You had to file it by April 17 of 2012 for tax year 2011. These dates change when the tax due date changes each year.
It usually is April 15 but sometimes is changed because weekend days land on April 15.

There are penalties of up to 25% of tax due if you file after the due date including the extensions.

Two month tax filing extension

Usually the extensions are for 2 months - to June 15, 2012 for 2012 taxes.

The limit is 6 months so for 2012 tax filing in 2013 it lands on October 15, 2012.

There might be an exception if you live out of the country.

Check with the IRS

Before you make any decisions be thorough and read all instructions on all forms and check with the Internal Revenue Service with any questions.